What We Are Reading

Here at the League of Extraordinary Writers, we're all getting cozy with some fascinating books! This is what each of the Leaguers are reading right now.

Beth Revis:
I'm currently reading I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai. I am a huge fan of this young woman, and when I saw her speak on Jon Stewart, I knew I needed this book. It's been fascinating so far; I have a lot to learn about her culture.


Mindy McGinnis:
I am reading Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield because she is on my auto-buy list after her debut The Thirteenth Tale rocks my socks off years ago. Dark and literary, she's got staying power.


Lissa Price:
I'm reading S. by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams. I'd read Alive in Necropolis and of course, J.J. Abrams, had to get this.


Bethany Hagen:
I'm reading One Summer: 1927 by Bill Bryson, a wry and detailed history of an American summer in the Roaring Twenties. Bryson is so witty and so smart that I have fantasies about adopting him as my great-uncle or something--needless to say, I read all of his books.


Elizabeth Richards:
Last read: Are We There Yet? by David Levithan. Why I picked it up: Because I'm a little bit in love with him and if I ever met him, I'd pretty much be doing this:



Susanne Winnacker:
I just finished Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek. It's an adult thriller and was recommend to me by a good friend.


Lydia Kang:
I am reading Sylo by D.J. McHale. I'm always on the lookout for books with well-written, male teen protagonists. Also, it's satisfying my sci-fi cravings right now. :)


Elana Johnson:
I'm reading The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, because hasn't everyone on the planet read it? Well, besides me, because I'm not finished yet. :)


E.C. Myers:
I'm reading Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick with William L. Simon. I'm researching a new novel (it's for a story, really!), and I had to pick this one up after enjoying and learning a lot from Mitnick's terrific book The Art of Intrusion. Reading about computer hacking and social engineering has opened my eyes to all the security weaknesses around us every day.


Meagan Spooner:
I'm currently reading The Big Con: The Story of the Confidence Man by David W. Maurer, a non-fiction work sharing stories and techniques from real life con-men in the 1930s and 40s. I'm reading it to research the subject for an upcoming novel, but I'd cheerfully read this book even without needing it for research... it's fascinating!



Lenore Appelhans:
I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan. Pollan divides the book into cooking with fire, water, air and earth and tells stories about how he apprenticed with various expert cooks. I can't listen to fiction audiobooks because my mind wanders and I lose the story, but I'm finding nonfiction is my sweet spot and Pollan is entertaining and inspiring. 


Amie Kaufman:
Believe it or not, I'm reading the same book as Eugene! I'm also reading for research, and it's fascinating. Is it for the same book Meg's researching? Maaaaaybe!


Peggy Eddleman:
As for me, I'm reading Champion by Marie Lu, because my son told me to. He read Legend and Prodigy without me, declared them his favorite books of all time, and begged me to hurry and read them so we could both read Champion when it came out and chat about it. Who could turn down that offer? Especially when the books are as incredible as these.


What book are you in the middle of reading?


2 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Love seeing what you're all reading. I'm reading an ARC of Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It's really good.

Anonymous said...

Education can be spread by imparting to those who have no access to formal educational facilities due to financial reasons or social pressures. Every person you educate will eventually be a good human being and an asset to the country.sop graduate school